I have decided to post an explanation about viruses. The explanation will cover the following subjects:
- What is a virus?
- How do viruses “work”, how do they infect human beings?
- How do viruses spread?
- Which natural protection (“lines of defence”) does the body have?
- What does a vaccination do? How does it work? What does it not do?
- When is vaccination a good thing, when not?
- Why do we have to vaccinate against diseases that don’t seem to exist?
- Why are some people still vulnerable to a virus, even if they are vaccinated?
- When are opponents of vaccination right, and when are they wrong?
- Which sophisms exist in the discussion about vaccination, and how can we recognise them?
- What did the late Sir Popper teach us, and how do his lessons apply?
This list is what I have currently in mind. The list will probably be extended as time progresses and new ideas appear.
I will not write the entire story at once. First, I do not have that much time, so the effort will have to be spread out over a number of days. Second, new ideas may appear. Third, it may happen that something I wrote isn’t as applicable as I originally thought it was; in that case, I’d better remove such parts.
And, of course, people will write reactions. I will incorporate the points that will be raised in those reactions. Not always immediately: as I said, I have only limited time, so it may take a number of days before I can process a certain remark. But as my story grows, it will incorporate ever more information, and it will answer ever more of your questions.