This hearty stew is full of flavor, but it doesn’t contain any unsafe ingredients like sugar or gluten that might derail your recovery from Candida. It’s really nutritious and perfect for a filling, satisfying evening meal.
Herbs and spices are really important when you’re preparing meals for a Candida diet. This recipe includes garlic, cinnamon, parsley, cayenne pepper, and cumin. All herbs and spices are OK on the Candida diet (although those with leaky gut or IBS might want to cut back on the chilies), so feel free to experiment.
- 1 Tbsp. olive or coconut oil
- 1 lb. diced beef
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh okra
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley to top
- Heat half oil over a medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Brown the beef on all sides then remove from the pan and set to one side.
- Add the remaining oil and cook the onions over a medium to low heat for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and spices and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Stir in the tomatoes and 2 cups of the stock.
- Cover and leave to simmer for 20 minutes until the beef is tender and falls apart to a fork. During this time stir occasionally and add more stock if necessary.
- Uncover and add in the okra.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the okra is cooked through and the liquid has thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve topped with fresh chopped parsley.
Looking for more gluten-free, sugar-free recipes? My Ultimate Candida Diet program contains more than 50 delicious recipes, plus lots of valuable advice on which foods to eat and avoid. Find out more here.