Candida Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Katkram  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2011 3:11:39 PM(UTC)
Katkram

Groups: Registered

Is baking powder and baking soda allowed in stage one of the Candida Diet? We would like to be able to make pancakes or waffles with buckwheat.
Sponsor
Offline Diane  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 6:16:20 PM(UTC)
Diane

Hi KatKram,

Baking powder is definitely allowed in the first stage of the diet, I use it to bake my coconut bread. Make sure that it has no aluminium content or traces. Thats as far as baking powder goes. I can safely say that baking soda is also allowed, once again be sure that it contains no bad stuff. Tryo to look in the search, key in a topic, im sure you will find lots of info.

Hey good luck

Cheers

Diane
Offline Diane  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 6:18:02 PM(UTC)
Diane

By the way check out the breakfast lunch and dinner part in this forum, you will find great recipes and there is a specific one about pancakes made with rice flour and coconut.

Once again

Goood luck
Offline Hope  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 07, 2011 3:15:29 PM(UTC)
Hope

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Actually, I stayed away from baking powder in Stage 1. You have to *very* careful with labels - many add corn starch. Beyond that, though, baking powder is basically a blend of baking soda (which is fine on the diet) and cream of tartar. Some cream of tartar is derived from fermentation, and I've read, some specifically from yeast. I didn't want to mess with it. I adapted recipes though, sometimes addinga little more (organic) egg, sometimes trying to add some baking soda and a little lemon or lime (the baking soda works with the acid to make the food fluffy). I also experimented with unbuffered vitamin C powder mixed with the baking soda. About 4 parts baking soda to one part vit C and then that mixture is used as a 1:1 subtitute for baking powder. It works okay, but if your recipe calls for a lot of baking pwder, lots of baking soda can give it a nasty taste. Bitter. I think others have done all right w/ the baking powder, but those are my reasons for staying away from it for the first part. Actually, I didn't reintroduce it until over 3 months in, and then only ocassionally. There's a store bought millet bread I can buy that has baking powder.

Anyway, hope this helps some :)