Candida Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kryssy  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2011 9:37:07 PM(UTC)
kryssy

Groups: Registered

Breakfast is difficult and eggs are boring to have everyday so for the last six weeks I've been trying different pancake recipes and have finally managed to make a pancake which doesn't end up as scrambled, crumbled or in the dog.

It's possible to mix and match to suit your taste but these came out perfect....

225ml unsweetened and unflavoured soya milk (I made my own but then I was showing off - and saving money)- (It should work with coconut milk too)
2 free range eggs
1 vanilla pod (not extract as it contains sugar and/or alcohol)
50g rice flour (I think you could use quinoa or any mild flavoured flour but not wheat)
60g coconut flour - essential
50g sugar-free dessicated coconut (make your own if unsure - it's easy)
Half teaspoon Stevia powder (that's a scant half)
2 teaspoons baking powder
Half a teaspoon fine salt
1 to 2 tablespoons of flavoured oil - coconut or nut is best but olive will do.

We have these pancakes with a dollop of natural unsweetened sheep's yoghurt and a teeny weeny drop of boysenberry juice (I'll explain that later)

The secret is to prepare this just before going to bed and leave in the fridge overnight. The coconut flour absorbs the liquid and I think that's the difference.

1. Scrape out the seeds from the vanilla pod. ** what to do with the pod later.

2. Whisk vanilla seeds with milk and eggs.

3. In a separate bowl, blend flours, coconut, Stevia, baking powder and salt.

4. Pour in the milk mixture and whisk lightly until blended.

5. Cover with cling-film and refrigerate overnight.

6. Next morning, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil to loosen the mixture to a dropping consistency. The only way to describe it is that the mixture stays on the spoon for a couple of seconds, then drops off. Don't get it too thin.

7. Heat a frying pan and melt a little oil in the bottom. Drop about 2 tablespoons of the batter into the pan and flatten slightly so they measure about 10cm across (4 inches) and about a half cm thick(quarter inch). Cook gently until the underside is golden and flip over. Do the same with that side.

8. Continue to make the pancakes and keep them warm in the oven until finished.

9. You will make 6 - 7 pancakes with this mixture and we have one and a half each as they are quite filling. The rest we put in an airtight container and they stay fine in the fridge for a couple of days. Or you can freeze them.

MAKE YOUR OWN VANILLA EXTRACT - OR WHAT TO DO WITH EMPTY VANILLA PODS

This is naughty but by the time my extract is ready the tiny amount of alcohol I'll be getting will be negligible. I buy my vanilla in bulk from EBay - 100 pods at a time as they are so expensive in the shops.
Buy a very cheap bottle of vodka and each time you use a vanilla pod drop the empty shell into the vodka and screw down the lid again. Keep the bottle in a cool dark place and eventually you will have a rich dark liquid which will be your own vanilla extract. It will keep forever too.

BOYSENBERRIES - these are like a cross between a blackberry and raspberry and I grow loads of them in the garden. I have several bags left in the freezer from last year and I cook them down, without water, strain them and kept the juice, adding a tiny bit of Stevia to sweeten slightly.

As we are almost into stage 2 of the diet we allow ourselves about half a teaspoon of the juice with the yoghurt on the mornings we have these pancakes. I'm sure you could do the same with all the raspberries that are about now as berries are allowed in stage 2.

I'm sorry this post is so long but I hope it helps a bit.
Sponsor
Offline Diane  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 8:02:38 AM(UTC)
Diane

Is it ok to use rice flour in the first stage of the diet ?
Offline Diane  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:13:36 PM(UTC)
Diane

Dear Kryssy,

Thanks for posting this recipe I am definitely going to give it a try.
I have one query
Quote'This is naughty but by the time my extract is ready the tiny amount of alcohol I'll be getting will be negligible'

How is the amount of alcohol negligible considering that you are putting pod in vodka. The liquid is alcohol, Im confused,
will you explain what you mean please.

Thank you once again for the great recipe

Diane
Offline kryssy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:59:46 AM(UTC)
kryssy

Hi Diane,

I'll answer your questions just with how I see things and what I've managed to find out on the internet. I am by no means an expert on nutrition or Candida Albicans.

First, I have read differing views on rice flour. Some say it's OK during the first stage and some say not. So, I tried it for myself and had no bad effects. I have been using the rice flour virtually since day one of the diet and I am now over 2 months in and feeling great and losing weight so guess it's not doing me any harm. I make these pancakes once a week and there is enough for two days for the two of us. I also use rice flour - with other flours - in experiments with bread. Today I made a savoury bread using rice, potato, tapioca and green lentil flours. I thought I would be smart and put in some grated courgette (zuccinni) from the glut I have right now. The courgettes work great in chocolate (carob) brownies but they didn't work in the bread. Too soggy. I will try omitting the courgettes next week and see how the bread turns out.

Second, the vanilla extract I will eventually have will be very dark brown. That means I will have to put quite a lot of vanilla pods in to achieve this. At the moment there are about 20 in the bottle and the colour is a warm brown. When I'm happy that it's right I need only use a teaspoon of the stuff to flavour whatever I'm making. Consequently, such a small amount of vodka is not going to make a huge difference to me. I guess you thought I would be using a glass of vodka - wishful thinking I'm afraid..... Also, I'll be well down the road with the diet so my system will be able to cope with the alcohol much better - hopefully. It is also such a shame to throw the pods away once I've used the seeds.

I hope this helps Diane. As I said, I'm no expert and I'm sure someone will put me straight if I am wrong but there is so much mis-information out there that it is hard to know sometimes what is right or wrong.

Let me know how you like the pancakes. Hubby and I love them but they are better with something on like yoghurt just to make them look naughty - but nice.

Offline Diane  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:34:30 AM(UTC)
Diane

Hi krissie,

I tried this out and it was an absolute disaster, i did nit use rice flour because I am still in stage 1 of my diet.

It just was one lumpy thing, no sign of liquid whatsoever! Any suggestions?

Cheers

Diane
Offline kryssy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:24:44 AM(UTC)
kryssy

Hi Diane,

I've been a couple of days replying as I've been experimenting with the recipe. I tried using all coconut flour, as you did, and was not surprised when it didn't work. Using coconut flour alone isn't really enough, that's why you should try another type of flour with it. Can you use Quinoa? Anyhow, I made the mixture with 100% coco.flour and first I had to use 50ml more liquid. Next morning I had to add almost double the oil to loosen it and when hubby tried to make the pancakes he said, "This is bl**dy useless". So, I made cup cakes with the remaining mixture and although they tasted superb they fell apart a bit.

So, my only suggestion is that if you cannot tolerate the rice flour at this time and you cannot find another type of flour you can take then you'll have to wait a while before you try the pancakes again. Someone else may have a suggestion for you though. I have used rice flour since day one of the diet without any ill effects although for the first couple of months I limited the use of it. I'm three months along now and seem to be fine.

I'm sorry you didn't have any success with it as they have become our staple breakfast most of the week.

Incidentally, you must use an electric whisk for the milk and eggs and then continue to whisk in the dry ingredients. I tried using a hand whisk and it wasn't as good.

Good luck
Kryssy

Edited by user Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:26:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

User is suspended until 4/29/2014 4:11:27 AM(UTC) Steadam2011  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 02, 2011 8:19:47 PM(UTC)
Steadam2011

Coconut Pancakes

Ingredients:

◘ Plain flour: 3/4 cup
◘ Whole wheat pastry flour: 3/4 cup
◘ Coconut milk: 1.5 cups
◘ Egg: 1 large
◘ Sugar: 2 tbsps
◘ Baking powder: 2 tsps
◘ Salt: 1/4 tsp
◘ Grated coconut: 3 tbsps
◘ Oil: 1 tbsp + some more for greasing the pan

Optional:

◘ Banana: 1
◘ Brown sugar: 2 tbsps

OR

◘ Passion fruit: 2
◘ Mango juice: 1/2 cup
◘ Cornflour: 1 tsp, whisked in 1 tsp water

Method:

◘ Sift both the flours, salt and the baking powder in a bowl. Stir in the sugar and the grated coconut.

◘ Beat the egg and whisk it with the coconut milk and oil. Add this to the dry ingredients and beat to get a smooth batter. Let the batter stand for 10 minutes.

◘ Meanwhile, make the passion fruit and mango coulis. Scoop out the pulp from the passion fruit, mix it into the mango juice and bring to a boil. Add the cornflour and stir it starts to thicken.

◘ Pour a couple of ladles on a greased and heated non stick frying pan. Cook for a couple of minutes; when bubbles start to form on the top , flip over and cook for a further 2 minutes or until golden brown.

◘ Before serving, slice the banana, toss it in the brown sugar and fry it till the sugar just starts to caramelise.

◘ Serve the pancakes with some passion fruit - mango coulis or caramelised banana.

This recipe makes 8 pancakes.

Edited by moderator Thursday, August 04, 2011 4:14:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Online raster  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:04:20 PM(UTC)
raster

Man

Was thanked: 723 time(s) in 597 post(s)
Steadam2011 your recipe is not healthy enough. What the heck are you trying to do, make people not get better?

Plain flour, wheat pastry flour, sugar are not allowed. No one use this recipe if they have candida because it'll come back.
Offline Ashlay  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:15:51 AM(UTC)
Ashlay

I think if your only using coconut flour the answer is to use alot less of it, it apparently yields 50% more than normal flours and absorbs water massively. Therefore I think it's best to whisk in a little coco flour at a time until the desires thickness of the batter is reached

Ash
Offline SEJ  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:59:50 PM(UTC)
SEJ

Ingredients:

◘ Plain flour: 3/4 cup
◘ Whole wheat pastry flour: 3/4 cup
◘ Coconut milk: 1.5 cups
◘ Egg: 1 large
◘ Sugar: 2 tbsps
◘ Baking powder: 2 tsps
◘ Salt: 1/4 tsp
◘ Grated coconut: 3 tbsps
◘ Oil: 1 tbsp + some more for greasing the pan

Optional:
◘ Banana: 1
◘ Brown sugar: 2 tbsps
OR
◘ Passion fruit: 2
◘ Mango juice: 1/2 cup
◘ Cornflour: 1 tsp, whisked in 1 tsp water

Yes, the recipe above is a disaster for people trying to heal from Candida!

I found a really simple, really clean, recipe for Candida sufferers. I cannot remember if I found it here on a forum, or if I found it somewhere else, but here's the link! : http://candidacooks.blog...avory-coconut-cakes.html

Iv'e been eating them all week, as you can just freeze them and pop em in the toaster whenever you need that "bready" kind of food. And, since it's all coconut, and no flour (besides coconut flour) whatsoever, even people on the stage right after the detox cleanse can eat them.
LOVE IT! You will too.

SEJ

Edited by user Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:10:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified