Candida Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jake43214  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 2:57:06 AM(UTC)
jake43214

Groups: Registered

as almonds and similar nuts have traces of mold, might almond milk have the same trace amounts?

the website of the brand i have says this :

Only nuts that match our stringent standards for size, density and color make the cut. The winners are shelled, toasted and ground before being blended with pure filtered water, along with other ingredients like vitamins, minerals and a touch of natural flavor. Simple, isn’t it? And simply impossible to resist.

Edited by user Saturday, January 19, 2013 3:20:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Offline Clare_  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:46:28 AM(UTC)
Clare_

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jake43214 Go to Quoted Post
...along with other ingredients like vitamins, minerals and a touch of natural flavor.

That could be anything.
Check the ingredients.
Offline jake43214  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:16:55 AM(UTC)
jake43214

All Natural Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, D-Alpha-Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2.
Offline raster  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 1:32:21 PM(UTC)
raster

Man

Was thanked: 807 time(s) in 672 post(s)
It's best to make it homemade to ensure that there are no molds or additives. I mean, what are natural flavors?

-raster
Offline kodaz2005  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 3:47:59 PM(UTC)
kodaz2005

United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 22 post(s)
as almonds and similar nuts have traces of mold, might almond milk have the same trace amounts?

the website of the brand i have says this :

Only nuts that match our stringent standards for size, density and color make the cut. The winners are shelled, toasted and ground before being blended with pure filtered water, along with other ingredients like vitamins, minerals and a touch of natural flavor. Simple, isn’t it? And simply impossible to resist.

Why not just go with unsweetened Coconut milk? It is also a great tasting item and you need not worry about the mold issue, assuming you get the unsweetened variety.

Offline jake43214  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:33:54 PM(UTC)
jake43214

because i have a cartoon of this almond, and theres no natural flavors.. dont know what you mean
Offline Clare_  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:43:45 PM(UTC)
Clare_

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
All Natural Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, D-Alpha-Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2.

Natural flavour bolded. That could be anything. They don't say what it is.

Edited by user Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:44:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Kag  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:45:16 PM(UTC)
Kag

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Hey Jake, I love almond milk too. I get the unsweetened organic version. Organic is less likely to have any weird additives. Good luck!
Offline yeastygut  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 7:00:52 PM(UTC)
yeastygut

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I would just like to point out how ridiculously easy it is to make your own nut/seed milk. I had seen people suggesting to make your own because you never know what ingredients are in the packaged kinds, but little did I know that it takes aboutt ten minutes to make a half gallon of seed milk. I made pumpkin seed milk with a recipe from Sandor Katz's "Wild Fermentation."

2 c pumpkin seeds (or any type of seed or nut; almonds need to be boiled briefly then have their skins removed)
water

-Place seeds/nuts in a blender and blend into a fine meal.
-add 1/2 c water and blend into a paste
-add 3 c more water and blend
-strain with cheesecloth into separate bowl to get little bits of seed out. ----> I chose not to strain mine because the result was so creamy and thick, which was exactly what I was aiming for. You can also choose to add more or less water to reach your desired milk consistency.

This is much cheaper, more delicious, healthier, and you don't waste all the packaging you would otherwise accumulate from buying cartons and cartons of milk from the store.
thanks 2 users thanked yeastygut for this useful post.
shayfo on 1/19/2013(UTC), Flipper on 1/31/2013(UTC)
Offline nathalietorresb  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:06:56 PM(UTC)
nathalietorresb

Canada

This is the recipe i use for almond milk:

http://glutenfreefix.com/raw-almond-milk/557/

takes 10 min
Offline mrs.candida  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:46:50 AM(UTC)
mrs.candida

United States

Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 100 post(s)
I get it Jake, you have a carton of almond milk that you don't want to go to waist.
You could just drink it and risk that it might not effect you. Or, if you are going to cheat then you could just sit down and enjoy a handfull of blueberries.
Offline Miriam  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:11:41 PM(UTC)
Miriam

Woman

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi Jake 43241,
I actucually use the product that you are refering to. I have contacted the company and they don't give the properties of natural flavor. I did explain our concern with that food ingredient. She is going to look in to it and call me. I will post the info. The number to call the company is 1-888-820-9283. I am a diabetic and it can be difficult to find products that are beneficial for me. I use the product and will continue to do so. Kefir is also a healthy refreshing beverage. It can be purchased from Cultures for Health. They are great grains and the people at the company don' mind answering quesions. I make mine with coconut milk as I have difficulties with milk. Hope this helps you out.

Miriam