Candida Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Lily  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 3:34:48 AM(UTC)
Lily
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/17/2011(UTC)
Posts: 54
Location: UK

I'm sure I've read somewhere that cottage cheese is ok to eat. Anyone know if this is true??
Sponsor
Offline rajv23  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 4:03:23 AM(UTC)
rajv23
Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/4/2011(UTC)
Posts: 5

I hope so, i'm sat here eating some right now!

I'm sure I've that as Cottage Cheese isn't a hard cheese, you are allowed it.
Offline Lily  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 5:33:02 AM(UTC)
Lily
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/17/2011(UTC)
Posts: 54
Location: UK

Haha! Oh that's good then as at least I have something tasty as a topping :-)
Offline Hope  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 7:51:59 AM(UTC)
Hope
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/4/2011(UTC)
Posts: 195
Location: Ohio

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Are you guys in Stage 1 or Stage 2? My understanding is that the only dairy allowed in Stage 1 is plain organic yogurt or kefir, and even some AC diets don't allow those because of the high lactose (milk sugars). Here's from the "Foods to Avoid" list for Stage 1

"Holistic practitioners recommend that Candida sufferers dramatically reduce their dairy intake
Candida prevents the body from processing fat properly
Only aged cheeses need to be eliminated completely
***A small amount of Swiss or Mozzarella cheese can be reintroduced in Stage 2***)

Swiss and Mozzarella are exmaples of cheeses that are not aged (or are aged only briefly) and are allowed to be reintroduced in Stage 2, with caution. I don't think I'd be snacking on cottage cheese.

If you *must* have some, goat's milk is lower in lactose than cow's milk. So, your best bet would be organic goat's milk cottage cheese, but my understanding is that it would not be an allowed food at all on this diet. I could be wrong (?).
Offline Lily  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 8:00:09 AM(UTC)
Lily
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/17/2011(UTC)
Posts: 54
Location: UK

Oh drat! Thought it would be too good to be true :-/

Offline LolloRosso  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:53:39 AM(UTC)
LolloRosso
Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/27/2011(UTC)
Posts: 16
Location: UK

I think it depends which site or book you read. I have two books that say cottage cheese is okay for stage one, infact any cheese matured less than 3 months.

With this diet I have found that somethings affect me more and less than the books say, we are all individuals and I would guess that certain foods will cause different reations to others than they do to me. I think probably due to the severity of the infection.

Caffine is my worst enemy, on week 2 I thought, a cup of Earl Grey can't hurt, I'll have just one cup. I paid for it the next day, I felt as if I had been down the pub on an all nighter. I stick to my rooibos now.
Offline helmax  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:35:33 PM(UTC)
helmax
Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/25/2011(UTC)
Posts: 21
Man


I'm on phase 2 of the Candida diet, and it took me seven months to get here, There was no way I would have touched cottage cheese or any other dairy product other than plain Greek yogurt during the 1st phase, and I have no intention of eating dairy products again. I can live without those. The people who think they can start 'working in' phase 2 products early on during phase 1 are only kidding themselves, and setting themselves up for failure. Without knowing it, we can slowly be feeding the Candida that's still in our system, and one day BANG ... the full force of a Candida infestation will show itself in the worst ways possible. And don't say that can't happen, it's happened far too many times in the past.

The truth is, there's simply not a 'perfect Candida diet' that's going to suit everyone's needs and tolerance level. Experiment, but cautiously, throughout your treatment. That's all any of us can really do to survive. Three food items saved my sanity during the long, seven months of phase 1, discovering coconut flour, sardines, and Organic Yellow Mustard made with apple cider vinegar. Take about adding taste to an otherwise morbidly bland diet.
Offline ducktorwho  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 2:37:10 PM(UTC)
ducktorwho
Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/7/2011(UTC)
Posts: 17
Location: CA

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
What brand is the mustard? I miss it. And ketchup, but that I'll just have to try to make myself.
Offline Betty83  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:47:45 AM(UTC)
Betty83
Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/16/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2
Location: Illinois

dang I was hoping cottage cheese was allowed in stage 1. I guess I better avoid it until stage 2. As for the plain greek yogurt... Fage is really good but has 6 to 8 grams of sugar depending on what kind you get (total, 2%, or 0%) is that ok for stage 1? I can't find any yogurt that is sugar free? This is the only dairy allowed in stage 1 right? What about Kefir? Lifeway is what I used to buy but has sugar in it. Something like 15 to 20 grams per serving. Should I wait on that until later?
Offline Javizy  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2012 4:57:28 AM(UTC)
Javizy
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2011(UTC)
Posts: 966
Man
Location: London, UK

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Just thought I'd ask about paneer here. It's a kind of cottage cheese that's easy to make with milk and lemon juice, and contains only 1.2g of carbohydrate per 100g. That's over 90% less than a Granny Smith apple, which can be allowed on phase 1.

I've heard the problem with dairy is in digesting the fat, but wouldn't that make kefir, yoghurt, oil etc a problem, too? Are there any other reasons for avoiding non-aged cheeses? Is there something special about lactose in particular? Even 100g of turnip has 4g of sugar.
User is suspended until 2/20/2041 5:52:52 PM(UTC) Able900  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2012 5:49:26 AM(UTC)
Able900
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/8/2011(UTC)
Posts: 4,923
Man
Location: USA

Thanks: 33 times
Was thanked: 572 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Javizy wrote:
Just thought I'd ask about paneer here. It's a kind of cottage cheese that's easy to make with milk and lemon juice, and contains only 1.2g of carbohydrate per 100g. That's over 90% less than a Granny Smith apple, which can be allowed on phase 1. I've heard the problem with dairy is in digesting the fat, but wouldn't that make kefir, yoghurt, oil etc a problem, too? Are there any other reasons for avoiding non-aged cheeses? Is there something special about lactose in particular? Even 100g of turnip has 4g of sugar.

Hello, Javizy, digesting the fat in milk isn’t the problem with a Candida infestation nor the carbohyhdrates; it’s the fact that the lactose sugar is food for the Candida. As far as yogurt and kefir are concerned, the sugar remaining in the end product after fermentation is notably less than in straight milk.

I don’t know that much about paneer, but I doubt that it’s fermented, however, if it is then the same would be true as far as the sugar content is concerned.

Able
Offline Javizy  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2012 6:03:42 AM(UTC)
Javizy
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2011(UTC)
Posts: 966
Man
Location: London, UK

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Able900 wrote:
Hello, Javizy, digesting the fat in milk isn’t the problem with a Candida infestation nor the carbohyhdrates; it’s the fact that the lactose sugar is food for the Candida. As far as yogurt and kefir are concerned, the sugar remaining in the end product after fermentation is notably less than in straight milk.

I don’t know that much about paneer, but I doubt that it’s fermented, however, if it is then the same would be true as far as the sugar content is concerned.

So candida feeds on lactose more readily than say fructose? That's what I don't understand. The Granny Smith is about 11% sugar, some of which is made up of sucrose. The paneer is just over 1% lactose. Greek yoghurt is 6% lactose. Most non-starchy veg falls in between somewhere. Am I missing something?

I'm still not understanding why certain foods aren't allowed judging by their nutritional content. I know it's a lot more complicated than sugar percentage, but any light you can shine on the matter would be appreciated.

By the way, you make paneer just by heating milk, adding acid like lemon juice, separating the curd and pressing it into a block. That's why it appeals to me, since I could economically make organic cheese without mould.

Edited by user Monday, January 02, 2012 6:05:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline salexander  
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2012 5:00:20 PM(UTC)
salexander
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/14/2012(UTC)
Posts: 37

What about dry curd cottage cheese? Apparently it is very low in lactose.
Offline Clare_  
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2012 5:37:15 PM(UTC)
Clare_
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/3/2012(UTC)
Posts: 139
Location: ...

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I think I read a recipe for Kefir cheese on Dom's site.

That might be worth trying.


Here it is:

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefir_cheese.html

Edited by user Sunday, June 17, 2012 5:39:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Shannon29  
#15 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2012 6:18:06 AM(UTC)
Shannon29
Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/13/2012(UTC)
Posts: 22
Location: Florida USA

Quote:
What brand is the mustard? I miss it. And ketchup, but that I'll just have to try to make myself.


Doctorwho,

The brand of mustard is Eden organic. I have some and I put it on everything. Here is a link:
http://www.vitacost.com/...&ci_kw=%7Bkeyword%7D
Offline healinglight  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:32:50 PM(UTC)
healinglight
Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/13/2012(UTC)
Posts: 87
Woman
India
Location: India

Thanks: 61 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Javizy Go to Quoted Post
Able900 wrote:
Hello, Javizy, digesting the fat in milk isn’t the problem with a Candida infestation nor the carbohyhdrates; it’s the fact that the lactose sugar is food for the Candida. As far as yogurt and kefir are concerned, the sugar remaining in the end product after fermentation is notably less than in straight milk.

I don’t know that much about paneer, but I doubt that it’s fermented, however, if it is then the same would be true as far as the sugar content is concerned.

So candida feeds on lactose more readily than say fructose? That's what I don't understand. The Granny Smith is about 11% sugar, some of which is made up of sucrose. The paneer is just over 1% lactose. Greek yoghurt is 6% lactose. Most non-starchy veg falls in between somewhere. Am I missing something?

I'm still not understanding why certain foods aren't allowed judging by their nutritional content. I know it's a lot more complicated than sugar percentage, but any light you can shine on the matter would be appreciated.

By the way, you make paneer just by heating milk, adding acid like lemon juice, separating the curd and pressing it into a block. That's why it appeals to me, since I could economically make organic cheese without mould.


Hi Javizy,
I was wondering if you had paneer, and if it caused any reaction? Being an Indian it would really be a healthy treat to be able to add paneer to my diet.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.301 seconds.