Candida Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Positivo  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:02:45 AM(UTC)
Positivo
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/23/2012(UTC)
Posts: 276
Location: New York

Hey guys

I hoping people who have been drinking kefir for sometime can give me some info. I ve been drinking commercial kefir for about 2 weeks. Im still waiting for my grains to rehydrate which takes time. This week the kefir has been causing bowel movements and gas. The bowel movements arent diarrhea which is what I usually get if Im having a reaction to something like eggs and now eggplant. They are more like a softer/easy to pass stool. The gas is sometimes oderless and there was a day where I felt a cramp in my stomach. I have been doing some reading online and a lot of people seem to think that this is caused by the bacterial imbalance in the gut and the probitoics are fighting off the candida. When I first started drinking kefir I didnt really have any kind of reaction what so ever. So is the gas a sign of a reaction to kefir or is it the fact that kefir has probiotics and I have a bacterial imbalance in the gut?

I feel great overall but I know that I need the bacteria from kefir to make a full recovery so Im hoping someone with some knowledge on this can shed some light the topic?
Pain and suffering is only temporary. It will subside and one day it will by replaced by something else. Stay positive
Sponsor
Offline princeofsin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:05:42 AM(UTC)
princeofsin
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/7/2012(UTC)
Posts: 228
Location: Orlando

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think your body is getting rid of all the dead tissue in it from your regular diet and therefor the symptoms you are experiencing.
Offline dvjorge  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:08:38 AM(UTC)
dvjorge
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/15/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,640
Location: Florida,US

Thanks: 48 times
Was thanked: 235 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Positivo wrote:
Hey guys

I hoping people who have been drinking kefir for sometime can give me some info. I ve been drinking commercial kefir for about 2 weeks. Im still waiting for my grains to rehydrate which takes time. This week the kefir has been causing bowel movements and gas. The bowel movements arent diarrhea which is what I usually get if Im having a reaction to something like eggs and now eggplant. They are more like a softer/easy to pass stool. The gas is sometimes oderless and there was a day where I felt a cramp in my stomach. I have been doing some reading online and a lot of people seem to think that this is caused by the bacterial imbalance in the gut and the probitoics are fighting off the candida. When I first started drinking kefir I didnt really have any kind of reaction what so ever. So is the gas a sign of a reaction to kefir or is it the fact that kefir has probiotics and I have a bacterial imbalance in the gut?

I feel great overall but I know that I need the bacteria from kefir to make a full recovery so Im hoping someone with some knowledge on this can shed some light the topic?


Positivo,
In my experience, if you feel intestinal cramps is because candida colonies are still there.
Jorge.
Offline Positivo  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:13:37 AM(UTC)
Positivo
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/23/2012(UTC)
Posts: 276
Location: New York

Jorge,

That is most definitely true. Even though I have many days that I am symptom free I know that candida is still present. I am just trying to figure out whether kefir is doing more harm than good in this particular instance.
Pain and suffering is only temporary. It will subside and one day it will by replaced by something else. Stay positive
Offline dvjorge  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:25:37 AM(UTC)
dvjorge
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/15/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,640
Location: Florida,US

Thanks: 48 times
Was thanked: 235 time(s) in 165 post(s)
I will cut Kefir for a while. You will have chance to drink it ahead. To be safe, cut it now. I can not tell you that the residual lactose in Kefir isn't feeding the fungus.
Jorge.
Offline Positivo  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:31:16 AM(UTC)
Positivo
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/23/2012(UTC)
Posts: 276
Location: New York

dvjorge wrote:
I will cut Kefir for a while. You will have chance to drink it ahead. To be safe, cut it now. I can not tell you that the residual lactose in Kefir isn't feeding the fungus.
Jorge.


That is true. Does anyone know what would be a sign of the candida being fed other than gas?
Pain and suffering is only temporary. It will subside and one day it will by replaced by something else. Stay positive
Offline Javizy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:42:30 AM(UTC)
Javizy
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2011(UTC)
Posts: 966
Man
Location: London, UK

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Wouldn't you feel crappy from the other by-products if was candida feeding? If your stools are well-formed, aren't an unusual colour etc, it could be a good sign. Lactobacilli can offer a lot of advantages, like lowering stool pH, ammonia content, pathogen numbers and inflammatory markers, but it can take time for them to have an effect. After 2-weeks they may have even exchanged gene clusters with your indigenous bacteria and brought about some interesting changes in the gut ecology. It's hard to say, so I'm just throwing things out here. Maybe you could avoid it until your grains are ready, but if your stool looks good, that's as good a measure as any, I think.
Offline Positivo  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:59:44 AM(UTC)
Positivo
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/23/2012(UTC)
Posts: 276
Location: New York

Javizy wrote:
Wouldn't you feel crappy from the other by-products if was candida feeding? If your stools are well-formed, aren't an unusual colour etc, it could be a good sign. Lactobacilli can offer a lot of advantages, like lowering stool pH, ammonia content, pathogen numbers and inflammatory markers, but it can take time for them to have an effect. After 2-weeks they may have even exchanged gene clusters with your indigenous bacteria and brought about some interesting changes in the gut ecology. It's hard to say, so I'm just throwing things out here. Maybe you could avoid it until your grains are ready, but if your stool looks good, that's as good a measure as any, I think.



I was thinking along those lines as well. I think I would have had diahrrea, fatigue, brain fog and all those others symptoms other then just gas. This is a store bought one so there are some concerns there as well even though its the same brand Ive been taking for almost 2 weeks and these past 2 weeks I have seen the most improvement. Its hard to say but I guess the safest thing to do is avoid it until my grains are ready which Im having a hard time deteremining.

I read alot of information on Doms site but I have been rehydrating them for 7 days and after 24 hours the milk doesnt seem to thicken must and it smells funny, like a sour smell. It also looks like cottage cheese. What do you think Javizy?
Pain and suffering is only temporary. It will subside and one day it will by replaced by something else. Stay positive
Offline dvjorge  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:09:26 AM(UTC)
dvjorge
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/15/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,640
Location: Florida,US

Thanks: 48 times
Was thanked: 235 time(s) in 165 post(s)
I don't know why your grains are taking so long to produce Kefir. My grains were able to produce Kefir after 72 hours I got them.
Jorge.
Offline Javizy  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:13:10 AM(UTC)
Javizy
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2011(UTC)
Posts: 966
Man
Location: London, UK

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'm actually just waking up some milk grains myself, and they were already hydrated, so I'm not the best person to ask about dairy kefir. Dom says they're ready if it coagulates within 24-hours. If this is happening, why not leave it for 36-48 hours and then taste it? You could ripen for 12-24-hours too. If it's tangy, fizzy, sour etc it should be fine. Even a 24-hour fermented one is likely to have less lactose/more CFUs than commercial ones. Have you noticed any grain growth at all?
Offline Positivo  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:31:02 AM(UTC)
Positivo
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/23/2012(UTC)
Posts: 276
Location: New York

Well after two days I notice some activity because there seemed to be a separation from clear fluid and white fluid at the bottom. I have seen some small increase in how many grains I have but its hard to tell. I think tonight I will start my first batch to test. I ll let them ferment for 48 hrs and then another 24 strained and then taste it.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
Pain and suffering is only temporary. It will subside and one day it will by replaced by something else. Stay positive
Offline Positivo  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:01:32 PM(UTC)
Positivo
Rank: Candida Expert

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/23/2012(UTC)
Posts: 276
Location: New York

http://www.traderjoes.co...ticle.asp?article_id=201

This is the store bought kefir I drink right now just in case anyone cares. It claims to be 99% lactose which I assume is just a precautionary estimate to protect themselves but I don't think this gas is a reaction from candida but more of a die off thing. I would think that I would have some abnormal bowel movement if I suddenly start feeding candida with something like lactose after 3 months of being very strict. Regardless I'll stick to my grains and if they don't develop I'll just get the body ecology kit.
Pain and suffering is only temporary. It will subside and one day it will by replaced by something else. Stay positive
Offline SomeDay  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:26:48 PM(UTC)
SomeDay
Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/23/2012(UTC)
Posts: 47
Location: Spain

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Positivo wrote:
Hey guys

I hoping people who have been drinking kefir for sometime can give me some info. I ve been drinking commercial kefir for about 2 weeks. Im still waiting for my grains to rehydrate which takes time. This week the kefir has been causing bowel movements and gas. The bowel movements arent diarrhea which is what I usually get if Im having a reaction to something like eggs and now eggplant. They are more like a softer/easy to pass stool. The gas is sometimes oderless and there was a day where I felt a cramp in my stomach. I have been doing some reading online and a lot of people seem to think that this is caused by the bacterial imbalance in the gut and the probitoics are fighting off the candida. When I first started drinking kefir I didnt really have any kind of reaction what so ever. So is the gas a sign of a reaction to kefir or is it the fact that kefir has probiotics and I have a bacterial imbalance in the gut?

I feel great overall but I know that I need the bacteria from kefir to make a full recovery so Im hoping someone with some knowledge on this can shed some light the topic?


I have felt cramps with my homemade kefir, mostly in the beginning. Surely it was fighting something. When I was using pasteurized (not ultra) goat milk kefir with bifidobacteria on it I noticed a real good change in the stool appearance and frequency. Basically one hour after I took the kefir I would go to the bathroom. This its significant to me because I have constipation.

It was when I switched to raw goat milk when the cramps became more intense I think. The bowel movement frequency slowed down again on that kefir, curious that raw kefir its not that good for me, maybe it was the added bifidobacteria. Now im taking kefir made with pasteurized cow milk and it seems to make me feel bloated and give gas. But im continuing with it because its a lot thicker than the goat kefir and sure it has a lot of cultures on it. Its tastes REALLY BAD compared with the goat one, though.

Maybe, what counts its the milk used.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:32:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.245 seconds.