Candida Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline pwhite78  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 9:06:29 AM(UTC)
pwhite78

Groups: Registered
Man

Hey guys,
I've seen a few posts around the forum that mention that quinoa feeds candida. I've also seen quinoa referred to as a grain on the website and forum, however, I've also read on the internet that it isn't a grain at all, but a seed of the Goosefoot plant.

Can someone help me understand why this might not be recommended? From my understanding, it's a complete protein and has numerous health benefits.

Pete
Pete
Sponsor
Offline Jaredxtr  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 10:23:10 AM(UTC)
Jaredxtr

I certainly don't have the expertise that some others on the website might have so, anyone out there, feel free to refute this.

I found out about the candida phenomena by seeing a natural path who gave me a very detailed list of foods. Quinoa IS on the fly list!

I eat it usually about 1-2 meals a week and do not have any reaction to it.

Just make sure you get the organic stuff. It's not too too expensive.
Offline salexander  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 10:33:08 AM(UTC)
salexander

Here's a list that does have quinoa on the ok to eat list http://www.thecandidadiet.com/foodstoeat.htm

I started eating it when I noticed symptoms from brown rice and have not shown any symptoms with the quinoa...quinoa flakes are great for breakfast too. And, if you have a costco membership you can get a huge bag for $9!
Offline raster  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 10:50:17 AM(UTC)
raster

Man

Was thanked: 727 time(s) in 601 post(s)
All I gotta say is be very careful with quinoa because you can get an allergic reaction to it. I started eating it early in my treatment...after 3 days of eating it straight, I reacted on the 4th day! Just one serving per day...so the candida and your allergies can adapt to it rather easily from my experience. If you eat it sparingly, it likely won't be much of a problem.

I also had a problem digesting quinoa...

I'd consider buckwheat as an alternative.

-raster
Offline jules  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 1:41:45 PM(UTC)
jules

My understanding that quinoa is not a grain but a seed. I've incorporated it into my anti-candida diet and I've experienced little or no adverse reactions.
Offline giorgio  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 3:40:08 PM(UTC)
giorgio

raster wrote:
.after 3 days of eating it straight, I reacted on the 4th day!

when you say "reaction" do you mind me asking what that means? I'm not sure I can tell what a reaction would even be. this is all kinda new and cryptic to me i guess.
Offline raster  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:42:14 AM(UTC)
raster

Man

Was thanked: 727 time(s) in 601 post(s)
Leaky gut reaction...its a burnlike feeling that encompasses your whole body. When you kill candida, it leaves holes in your intestines causing intestinal permeability...the food then leaks into your blood stream and you get an allergic reaction.

The feeling is similar to "indian rug burn" and encompasses the whole body. When I first started out, my food reactions lasted hours...where I would feel awful for a long long time after eating something I could not handle.

Other symptoms of food reactions include heart palpitations, mucous production, coughing, sneezing, headaches, hyperventilation, panic attacks, sweating, fatigue, gas production, and more. Also IBS is another symptom...if you get diarrhea then thats a food reaction.

Undigested food is another one and this isn't good because it means raw food is fermenting in the gut.

-raster
Offline Xodarap  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2013 5:28:43 PM(UTC)
Xodarap

Originally Posted by: raster Go to Quoted Post
Leaky gut reaction...

This is a well-known and well-documented reaction to the saponins that cover quinoa seeds, similar to the reaction humans have to attempting to digest gluten. Both plants use evolved chemicals to dissuade animals from eating them.

However, unlike with gluten, this can easily be rectified in quinoa by proper and thorough rinsing. Sometimes rinsing, soaking, and rinsing again, is required. Quinoa is also one of the foods most necessary to find in organic varieties. My (strong) guess is that you didn't properly rinse your quinoa, which is very important.

Properly rinsed, quinoa should not react with ("feed") candida, nor should it create symptoms of leaky gut syndrome.
Offline emz333  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2013 8:34:41 PM(UTC)
emz333

Australia

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hey raster, thats exactly whats happening to me. any advice? did u concentrate on killing candida first or healing leaky gut? i can hardly eat anything.. literally. made some organic beef bone broth lastnight yum, but reacting today maybe from some ghee i had testerday.. urgh
Offline Xodarap  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2013 10:13:56 PM(UTC)
Xodarap

Originally Posted by: emz333 Go to Quoted Post
hey raster, thats exactly whats happening to me. any advice? did u concentrate on killing candida first or healing leaky gut? i can hardly eat anything.. literally. made some organic beef bone broth lastnight yum, but reacting today maybe from some ghee i had testerday.. urgh

Look into the (Jarisch) Herxheimmer reaction, or "herx reaction." That's much more likely what you're dealing with. The only real trick is to slow down the rate at which you kill off your Candida. It's generally recommended to very slowly kill it off, to prevent the herx reaction (which can be quite severe) from dissuading you from the program/diet altogether. Large amounts of activated charcoal can also "soak up" the toxins moving through your system.
Offline Atela  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:03:43 AM(UTC)
Atela

United States

Originally Posted by: Xodarap Go to Quoted Post

Large amounts of activated charcoal can also "soak up" the toxins moving through your system.

Just thought that I would share this in the event that someone fails to research 'activated charcoal' before using it.
Precautions

Check with your doctor before using activated charcoal on a regular basis -- especially if you have a food allergy or vitamin/mineral deficiency. It is also recommended you wait a few hours between taking any other medication and taking charcoal to allow your medications time to absorb into your system. If you experience constipation, vomiting, stomach pain and diarrhea as a result of taking activated charcoal -- or your heartburn gets worse -- stop taking it and seek medical advice.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.co...or-humans/#ixzz2QdAGx4oc

Offline lmm  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:29:41 AM(UTC)
lmm

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: raster Go to Quoted Post
All I gotta say is be very careful with quinoa because you can get an allergic reaction to it. I started eating it early in my treatment...after 3 days of eating it straight, I reacted on the 4th day! Just one serving per day...so the candida and your allergies can adapt to it rather easily from my experience. If you eat it sparingly, it likely won't be much of a problem.

I also had a problem digesting quinoa...

I'd consider buckwheat as an alternative.

-raster

During a previous treatment, I ate it every day. It gave me awful heartburn, even with betaine HCL. When I had an endoscopy, it was sitting undigested in my stomach. This can happen because the Candida is feeding on it (and therefore disruptive normal digestion) or because you're intolerant. The knife edge of my digestive problems improved very quickly when I cut it out. I won't eat it again until I'm free of Candida, and no longer need betaine.

I agree with raster that buckwheat can be a useful alternative, bearing in mind of course that everyone reacts differently.

Len
Offline alexalgebra  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:21:38 AM(UTC)
alexalgebra

United States

Was thanked: 280 time(s) in 192 post(s)
I also agree that buckwheat is a better alternative. Quinoa, even when soaked, sprouted, rinsed, cooked, and pureed, would cause me reactions. I don't get that with buckwheat.
Offline kjones02  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:01:12 AM(UTC)
kjones02

United States

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I am finding that I get a reaction from both buckwheat and quinoa. I left quinoa out for quite some time, and I decided to try some yesterday morning. I def. got a reaction! I didn't feel too hot the rest of the day. Everyone reacts differently! I am believing more and more is just better to watch your carb intake, use some coconut flour in recipes, eat more veggies, etc. is the best strategy. However, what other kind of flours could I use? I know, I know, but I can handle rice stuff sometimes, but I feel I still have to consider my gastroparesis at times even with the pacemaker (it is a tool, helps, but not a cure!). Some stuff just sits heavy on me. I hate it how I have to consider both aspects sometimes, gastroparesis, no colon, and candida. Frustrating!!!
Offline emz333  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 5:35:28 AM(UTC)
emz333

Australia

Originally Posted by: Xodarap Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: emz333 Go to Quoted Post

Look into the (Jarisch) Herxheimmer reaction, or "herx reaction." That's much more likely what you're dealing with. The only real trick is to slow down the rate at which you kill off your Candida. It's generally recommended to very slowly kill it off, to prevent the herx reaction (which can be quite severe) from dissuading you from the program/diet altogether. Large amounts of activated charcoal can also "soak up" the toxins moving through your system.

thanks for ur reply. i have read about this but its definately an allergic reaction i get, my face swells and my eyes puff and i itch like crazy and my rash weeps