Candida Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline orka1998  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:09:12 PM(UTC)
orka1998

Groups: Registered
Woman
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 65 post(s)
I was all excited to have found something new to eat :) I found frozen rhubarb in my grocery store! The problem is I never ate it or prepared it. I checked and it's on the allowed list, but when I search for recipes it's all sweet stuff. Can anyone help me with some ideas on ow to eat it and what does it taste like?

Thanks in advance!

Arijana
Sponsor
Offline Angor  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:20:25 PM(UTC)
Angor

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Arijana!

I pealed the rhubarb, cut it into pieces, then cooked it together with ghee, a small amount of organic pure vanilla powder and one gelatin leaf. Then mixed it with an egg white.

Then I made a piecrust made by coconut flour, coconut oil, ghee, eggs and again a small amount of vanilla powder.

Combined the two and put it in the oven.

Voila! Pie dessert. I love rhubarb, it's sour and goes great with the sweet tasting coconut flour.

Sorry I can't give you any measures, just want to give you an idea what you could make of it.

(and sorry for my poor english skills)
Offline jo2212  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:00:00 PM(UTC)
jo2212

Woman

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I stew mine and oven roast some buckwheat flakes and cinnamon to make a crumble topping.

I don't have stevia or coconut flour but I'm sure they'd both make this taste even nicer.

xx
Offline orka1998  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:11:32 PM(UTC)
orka1998

Woman
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Angor wrote:
Hi Arijana!

I pealed the rhubarb, cut it into pieces, then cooked it together with ghee, a small amount of organic pure vanilla powder and one gelatin leaf. Then mixed it with an egg white.

Then I made a piecrust made by coconut flour, coconut oil, ghee, eggs and again a small amount of vanilla powder.

Combined the two and put it in the oven.

Voila! Pie dessert. I love rhubarb, it's sour and goes great with the sweet tasting coconut flour.

Sorry I can't give you any measures, just want to give you an idea what you could make of it.

(and sorry for my poor english skills)

Thank you so much for suggestion but I cannot tolerate coconut at the time :( so I will save this for future reference.

Arijana
Offline orka1998  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:13:15 PM(UTC)
orka1998

Woman
Bosnia and Herzegovina

jo2212 wrote:
I stew mine and oven roast some buckwheat flakes and cinnamon to make a crumble topping.

I don't have stevia or coconut flour but I'm sure they'd both make this taste even nicer.

xx

OK, I will try this. I don't have stevia either and cannot tolerate coconut at the moment so will try it your way :)

Arijana
Offline orka1998  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:16:49 PM(UTC)
orka1998

Woman
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Anyone has a salty recipe as a vegetable side dish or something?

Also, any cations on sensitivity or antifungal properties? Don't want to suffer same as from rutabaga :)

Arijana

P.S. Don't want anyone to thing I am lazy or something. I did try searching the forum but keep getting errors. Guess something is wrong with the forum today.
Offline jo2212  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:19:16 PM(UTC)
jo2212

Woman

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
orka1998 wrote:
jo2212 wrote:

xx

OK, I will try this. I don't have stevia either and cannot tolerate coconut at the moment so will try it your way :)

Arijana

A lot of the recipes seem to have ginger in as well so I'm thinking I might try that tonight. Also tastes really nice with a dollop of yoghurt on top, especially if mixed with vanilla bean!

xx
Offline Angor  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:01:00 PM(UTC)
Angor

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Oh, I see. Then how about rhubarb chutney:

500 grams of rhubarb
1 x red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic clove (s)
1 x chilli
1 teaspoon salt (or other spices)
1 tablespoon ginger, grated

(I would add some ghee to make it more creamy)
Offline Chlofloso  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:10:42 PM(UTC)
Chlofloso

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I don't know about salty recipes with rhubarb, but I had rhubarb yesterday for dinner in the form of a pie with buckwheat flour. For the dough, I mixed buckwheat flour with water and salt, made a dough out of it and then spread it like a pizza dough (which was tricky). Instead of chopped hazelnuts I put some oat bran on the dough. Then I cut the rhubarb and put it on top of the oat bran, and finally I poured a mixture of kefir, two eggs, two tablespoons of buckwheat flour (to bind), vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger over the pie and baked it in the oven. I make it without stevia but if you want it sweet, you can add that to the mixture.
The taste is different than normal pie because of the buckwheat flour, but I still loved it.

I remember once making coconut/buckwheat bread muffins with rhubarb, stevia and lemon juice, and they came out really well, so once you can tolerate coconut flour you could try that...

Chloë

Offline orka1998  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 09, 2012 1:38:00 AM(UTC)
orka1998

Woman
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Angor wrote:
Oh, I see. Then how about rhubarb chutney:

500 grams of rhubarb
1 x red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic clove (s)
1 x chilli
1 teaspoon salt (or other spices)
1 tablespoon ginger, grated

(I would add some ghee to make it more creamy)

OK, this sounds great. I will definitely try it.

Thanks!

Arijana
Offline orka1998  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 09, 2012 1:42:25 AM(UTC)
orka1998

Woman
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Chlofloso wrote:
I don't know about salty recipes with rhubarb, but I had rhubarb yesterday for dinner in the form of a pie with buckwheat flour. For the dough, I mixed buckwheat flour with water and salt, made a dough out of it and then spread it like a pizza dough (which was tricky). Instead of chopped hazelnuts I put some oat bran on the dough. Then I cut the rhubarb and put it on top of the oat bran, and finally I poured a mixture of kefir, two eggs, two tablespoons of buckwheat flour (to bind), vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger over the pie and baked it in the oven. I make it without stevia but if you want it sweet, you can add that to the mixture.
The taste is different than normal pie because of the buckwheat flour, but I still loved it.

I remember once making coconut/buckwheat bread muffins with rhubarb, stevia and lemon juice, and they came out really well, so once you can tolerate coconut flour you could try that...

Chloë

Thanks Chloe! Now, this can be made as a salty version so that I have a lunch ha-ha. I am not craving much for sweets but more struggling with a good lunch/dinner :)

I don't have stevia or any allowed sweeteners here so I gave up on that idea anyway :)

Thanks again!

Arijana