Candida Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wenkins  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:58:59 AM(UTC)
wenkins

Groups: Registered

Hi, newby here and have read some of the candida stories.
I have a little delema...I need to do this whole candida thing (have had it for I'd say 20 years not knowing), but at the same time want to do some weight training to put on weight (muscle), as I'm rather skinny and struggle to maintain or put on weight. No where here have I seen YAY or NAY to whey protein (obviously unsweetened), and so would like the experts' take on this.
Sponsor
User is suspended until 2/20/2041 5:52:52 PM(UTC) Able900  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:46:00 AM(UTC)
Able900

Man

Was thanked: 570 time(s) in 390 post(s)
wenkins wrote:
Hi, newby here and have read some of the candida stories.
I have a little delema...I need to do this whole candida thing (have had it for I'd say 20 years not knowing), but at the same time want to do some weight training to put on weight (muscle), as I'm rather skinny and struggle to maintain or put on weight. No where here have I seen YAY or NAY to whey protein (obviously unsweetened), and so would like the experts' take on this.

First of all, intense weight training is not a good idea while on any Candida diet.

Whey protein is a dairy product rich in lactose which feeds Candida. I wouldn't want to risk it myself.

Able

Offline Chris24  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:14:35 AM(UTC)
Chris24

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Check out creatine instead.

It would suprise me if you'd find the strength to work out at all. Good if you can, but take it easy on yourself if you cant.
“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
Offline raster  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:23:49 AM(UTC)
raster

Man

Was thanked: 846 time(s) in 704 post(s)
I'd look at teff as a good weight gain food; creatine has drawbacks and I am unsure if its candida friendly.

I second what able has said and you shouldn't do any streneous exercise while healing from candida. The single most important thing you need is plenty of rest.

-raster
Offline Positivo  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:27:29 AM(UTC)
Positivo

I lift weights while on candida diet. I don't plan on getting big lol but it's keeps you feeling good and helps your immune system. I would never use whey protein ever again especially not on the candida diet not only does it feed candida but whey is toxic and acidic as hell. I would only use organic plant protein. Someone here mentioned nutiva hemp protein.
Pain and suffering is only temporary. It will subside and one day it will by replaced by something else. Stay positive
Offline Chris24  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:45:00 AM(UTC)
Chris24

raster wrote:
I'd look at teff as a good weight gain food; creatine has drawbacks and I am unsure if its candida friendly.

-raster

What do you think could be wrong with Creatine raster?
Offline benc  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:09:11 AM(UTC)
benc

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Chris24 wrote:
raster wrote:

-raster

What do you think could be wrong with Creatine raster?

Don't even consider creatine at the moment. 1/ because it will be far to harsh on the stomach that is trying to heal, 2/ it draws water into the muscle cells and at the moment you want water to pass through you to expel toxins anyway possible.

BCAA's would be ok. I've been taking hemp seed protein too, it taste fairly ropey & doesn't have the same bioavailability profile as whey, but just focus on getting better 1st.

During die off you may decide training too much anyway, I work as a trainer, but have had to stop my own training because its just been too much to cope with in the early stages.
Offline raster  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:18:29 AM(UTC)
raster

Man

Was thanked: 846 time(s) in 704 post(s)
"Creatine can cause stomach and intestinal side effects in certain people. These problems can include loss of appetite, nausea, stomach pain or discomfort, and nausea.

The Mayo Clinic reports that creatine may change the interactions of insulin, so individuals with diabetes or hypoglycemia should be cautious when taking creatine supplements.

Creatine can cause asthmatic symptoms like shortness of breath in individuals with a creatine allergy. It can also cause muscle cramps, electrolyte imbalances, dehydration, and high blood pressure.

Finally, there is little scientific data regarding the long-term usage of creatine supplements, and the quality of creatine supplements is not ensured by the FDA, which does not monitor creatine manufacturers. In the past, some companies have sold contaminated creatine. The FDA recommends consulting with a physician before beginning a creatine regimen."

http://www.livestrong.co...tages-of-using-creatine/
Offline benc  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:57:29 AM(UTC)
benc

raster wrote:
"Creatine can cause stomach and intestinal side effects in certain people. These problems can include loss of appetite, nausea, stomach pain or discomfort, and nausea.

The Mayo Clinic reports that creatine may change the interactions of insulin, so individuals with diabetes or hypoglycemia should be cautious when taking creatine supplements.

Creatine can cause asthmatic symptoms like shortness of breath in individuals with a creatine allergy. It can also cause muscle cramps, electrolyte imbalances, dehydration, and high blood pressure.

Finally, there is little scientific data regarding the long-term usage of creatine supplements, and the quality of creatine supplements is not ensured by the FDA, which does not monitor creatine manufacturers. In the past, some companies have sold contaminated creatine. The FDA recommends consulting with a physician before beginning a creatine regimen."

http://www.livestrong.co...tages-of-using-creatine/

Genrally its a good supplement, but I wouldn't use it right now.
Offline Chris24  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:21:00 PM(UTC)
Chris24

Hmm okay. Being a natural occurring substance I thought it was okay. I have been using it myself aswell. Not sure about reactions to it.
Offline wenkins  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:08:33 PM(UTC)
wenkins

Thanks a stack for the feedback guys. I'm a chick so there's no intention to push myself enough to use creatine. Blond moment when I posted the Q...forgot about the lactose LOL.

I don't suffer from my symptoms like most of you seem to... I'll give the exercise a bash at the same time, and if too much, I'll stop.
Offline sammcl  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:25:52 PM(UTC)
sammcl

wenkins wrote:
Thanks a stack for the feedback guys. I'm a chick so there's no intention to push myself enough to use creatine. Blond moment when I posted the Q...forgot about the lactose LOL.

I don't suffer from my symptoms like most of you seem to... I'll give the exercise a bash at the same time, and if too much, I'll stop.

How far along on the diet are you?

I personally find that olive oil, coconut oil and buckwheat are all really good ways of keeping the weight up
Offline wenkins  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:39:37 AM(UTC)
wenkins

I only started this morning, but still had my cereal (no sugar added, but highish in carbs).

I've got to get my hands on coconut oil still, and I've just copied the recipe for the bread so think I'll test my hand at baking and only hope to heaven it tastes OK.
Offline benc  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:09:38 AM(UTC)
benc

wenkins wrote:
I only started this morning, but still had my cereal (no sugar added, but highish in carbs).

I've got to get my hands on coconut oil still, and I've just copied the recipe for the bread so think I'll test my hand at baking and only hope to heaven it tastes OK.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you haven't started yet. All cereals are high in carbs & will feed the candida. If you need carbs test yourself with swede chips, or make coconut bread, etc, etc. Lots of ideas on here.

I tried to keep things like nuts & seeds, to keep the calories up, but they were not helping. I also had to cut red meats & herbal teas out because I was getting reaction to them. Much worse than I did before I started the diet.

If I was you, I would just go with a diet & stick to it, I wasted weeks feeling shit from anti fungals but was putting stuff back in that was counter attacking the process.
Offline wenkins  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:48:58 AM(UTC)
wenkins

Not harsh at all Benc. I just haven't prepared myself, foodwise, for a proper plunge. So, ya, let's say I haven't started yet :(
Offline wenkins  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2012 2:39:21 AM(UTC)
wenkins

hang on a minute...I don't think my Q was a blond mo.

Whey is the left over of everything else being removed from the milk, hence so high in protein (20g of 28g serving) and so very very low in carbs (1.4g per same 28g serving). This would indicate to me that the lactose is no longer there.

And if I'm not mistaken, it is safe for some lactose intolerent peeps to consume whey.

Any comments on this?

I really really need to build some muscles, and tons of chicken ain't gonna go down well for me.
Offline benc  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2012 3:37:41 AM(UTC)
benc

wenkins wrote:
hang on a minute...I don't think my Q was a blond mo.

Whey is the left over of everything else being removed from the milk, hence so high in protein (20g of 28g serving) and so very very low in carbs (1.4g per same 28g serving). This would indicate to me that the lactose is no longer there.

And if I'm not mistaken, it is safe for some lactose intolerent peeps to consume whey.

Any comments on this?

I really really need to build some muscles, and tons of chicken ain't gonna go down well for me.

Whey isolates yes, but because it more than likely comes from mass produce cows it will have antibiotic & hormone residue. Grass Fed Organic is the best option, but if your worried about Candida just eat real food. Whey Isolates is very handy, but there are plenty of other options available.
Offline princeofsin  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2012 11:02:45 AM(UTC)
princeofsin

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I actually looked around and there is company that offers whey isolate from grass fed/antibiotic & hormone free cows. It's kind of expensive but I think it's worth it:

http://www.energyfirst.com/Whey-Protein-Powder
Offline Kamilion  
#19 Posted : Friday, July 06, 2012 8:55:52 AM(UTC)
Kamilion

Hello all, I've got some great insight on protein supplementing while fighting Candida!

To start off I'm a 20 yr old male from Hamilton Ontario and I have been struggling with accepting the fact that I have Candida and have to treat myself via dieting and supplementingfor well over 3 years. The last 2 of the 3 years it had progressed severe case involving psoriasis, and crohns disease mainly due to a whole list of medications prescribed to me that aggravated my Candida (Anti-biotics, Losec, steroids to name a few) my past diet, my past partner which had Candida symptoms all over and lastly excessive use of OTC fungal medications and a few prescription fungal medications without being on the Candida diet! This weakened my immune system to the point where Candida literally consumed all of my energy and almost all my hope.

I'm on a strict diet with the help of this amazing book. It seriously changed my life and it's only been less than a month of following this books guidlines on diet, stress and overall well being! I thought I knew what a good Candida Diet was but I wasn't progressing, this book changed my life and prepared me to finally kill this Candida. http://www.amazon.ca/Com...ed-Edition/dp/0761527400

Anyways back to the topic at hand. I myself was looking up alternatives to protein supplementing while treating myself with a strict candida diet. I must say the best protein I've found that I use and believe is actually beneficial with no side effects is PROBIOTIC WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE (NATURAL ZEST) 910 Ghttp://www.nationalnutri...n.ca/detail.aspx?ID=5512 the label is on the website!

I have even brought it to my Naturopath and she had told me it was ok for use while on my Candida diet. That may not be the case for everyone, but i use it and I feel great while on my diet.
I agree that overtraining or strenuous exercise is not what you want to be doing while your body is fighting Candida. In fact your body needs more rest than it normally would. If you feel tired, like taking a nap or going easy for a day or even a few days then DO IT! Listen to what your body is telling you it will thank you for it.

A healthy active lifestyle, and a rich candida diet has been a passion for me these last few years. If you have any suggestions or questions or comments please leave them! :)
Offline moochpb  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:38:09 AM(UTC)
moochpb

United States

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I'm an mma fighter so the past 5 months have been rough. I feel great but then have die off switching antifungals. I'm confused what supplements to take. My naturalpath told me to use the probiotic whey and I don't feel too bad on it. I tried ribose but I just read it turned into sugar damnit. Creatine is all natural and I've been rotating it for years and years. I wanna have a fight by the summer, so I'm just trying to stay healthy and get better first