Candida Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 2/20/2041 5:52:52 PM(UTC) Able900  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:37:29 PM(UTC)
Able900

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 570 time(s) in 390 post(s)
It seems that I recently became very curious about hot peppers, specifically cayenne peppers and jalapenos; the reason for the research was more intuitive than anything I had learned. No matter how many experts and websites I saw that warned against red and hot peppers in general being eaten with a Candida infestation, it just didn’t make sense to me. For one thing, overall they contain a comparatively low amount of sugar, plus they contain dozens of noted health benefits. I just had trouble buying into the idea that they were dangerous for Candida sufferers. So the research journals and books came out …

I already knew that these peppers are touted for their ability to cure both migraine and sinus headaches; so that led me to search for studies that concern the peppers in connection with the sinuses.

Both of these peppers are a member of the capsicum annum family which means that they’re full of a substance by the name of capsaicin. This is what makes the pepper ‘hot’ and it’s the reason your nose runs when you eat a lot of it. This happens because the capsicum stimulates secretions from the sinuses which flush out the mucus; this function combats nasal congestion, and as stated, clears the mucus from the sinus cavities. In addition, the substance contains antibacterial properties which help to fight chronic sinus infections.

According to research conducted by MycoLogics labs, when this substance called capsicum was studied to determine its in vitro antifungal activity, it was active against 16 different fungal strains, including Candida albicans.

Think I’ll have a couple of jalapenos.
Able
Sponsor
Offline Himawari  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:33:36 PM(UTC)
Himawari

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Please keep us posted; I never understood the "no hot peppers" rule either--since they seemed like they'd be more beneficial than detrimental--and really miss spicy foods!
Offline Morticia  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:12:53 PM(UTC)
Morticia

The lack of hot peppers is a concern to me also - look forward to your posts!
Offline Javizy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:48:41 PM(UTC)
Javizy

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
What're their effect on the GI tract though? Many people with candida have IBS-like symptoms, acid reflux etc and common sense knowledge and doctors tell us not to eat spicy food with these conditions. I've become quite disillusioned with both of those knowledge sources though, so is there any evidence to support this idea? It seems hard to believe when you consider the cuisine in countries like Thailand, India, Korea, Malaysia etc. Chillies are as much a staple as rice!
Offline raster  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 6:13:24 AM(UTC)
raster

Man

Was thanked: 843 time(s) in 701 post(s)
Interesting able...I thought the mucus production was a bad thing with the spicy foods, but maybe I have to second guess this assumption.

-Raster
User is suspended until 2/20/2041 5:52:52 PM(UTC) Able900  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 6:38:52 AM(UTC)
Able900

Man

Was thanked: 570 time(s) in 390 post(s)
Javizy wrote:
What're their effect on the GI tract though? Many people with candida have IBS-like symptoms, acid reflux etc and common sense knowledge and doctors tell us not to eat spicy food with these conditions. I've become quite disillusioned with both of those knowledge sources though, so is there any evidence to support this idea? It seems hard to believe when you consider the cuisine in countries like Thailand, India, Korea, Malaysia etc. Chillies are as much a staple as rice!

I found one study on this only because I didn't have time to do additional searches through the journals. After reading the research, I now believe that it's a matter of stopping the intake of peppers too soon because of the initial reactions which seem to be negative, however, as you see, if eating the peppers is continued, it seems that the negative results can change to positive - that is - according to the research. I'll post the study below. Try eating the peppers at your own risk as we know that everyone reacts differently to the same foods.

Effect of Red Pepper on Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Preliminary Study
Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 05/18/2011 - Clinical Article

The results of this preliminary study indicate that the chronic administration of red pepper powder in Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) patients with enteric–coated pills was significantly more effective than placebo in decreasing the intensity of abdominal pain and bloating and was considered by the patients more effective than placebo.

Methods

• Study was performed on 50 patients with IBS diagnosed following Rome II criteria.

• After a 2-week washout period, 23 patients were planned to receive 4 pills/day, for 6 weeks randomly and in a double blind manner, each containing 150 mg of red pepper powder with a coat that dissolves in the colon, and 27 patients placebo.

• Patients scored each day in a diary the abdominal pain and bloating intensities following the 5-point Likert scale.

• Weekly symptom mean scores and the final patient subjective evaluation on treatment effectiveness were statistically compared among groups and intra-groups with appropriate tests.

Results

• 8 patients dropped from the study: 6 in the red pepper group for abdominal pain and 2 in the placebo group.

• In 8 patients, the pills were reduced to 2/day, because of the abdominal pain at the onset of treatment.

• Intra-group comparisons showed that in patients taking red pepper the abdominal pain and bloating mean score values of the last weeks of treatment were significantly improved with respect to pre-treatment values, unlike patients taking placebo.

• Final patient subjective evaluation on the treatment effectiveness showed that red pepper group scored significantly better than placebo.