Candida Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 2/20/2041 5:52:52 PM(UTC) Able900  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:50:00 PM(UTC)
Able900

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 559 time(s) in 385 post(s)
Citric acid (C6H8O7) is exactly what the words infer; the component which causes the acidic nature of citrus fruits such as lemons, oranges, kumquat, tangerines, limes and grapefruit. Citric acid can also be used as a natural preservative as well as adding a sour-like taste to drinks and other foods. For commercial use, it can be derived through the fermentation of carbohydrates or from the juice of citrus fruits and used in the preparation of the citrates and in flavorings, foods and drinks.

If you’ve read the posts I’ve written on the effect of acid on a Candida albicans infestation, then you know that I advocate creating an acidic environment in the intestines and colon in order to successfully address a Candida infestation. But the problem with introducing citric acid in its natural form is that these fruits can also contain huge amounts of sugar which makes the fruit a perfect food for the Candida, allowing them to thrive and increase in population. In fact, sugary fruit can actually cause an over-alkalized environment for the Candida to enjoy. So you can see my problem with citric acids in their natural form.
On the other hand, lemons & limes, unlike most other citric fruits, contain very low amounts of sugar. In addition to this, they contain a particularly high concentration of citric acid, making them both a good food source for a Candida treatment.

If the areas of the body that are normally acidic, such as the skin, are maintained in an acidic state, then the Candida is kept in its harmless yeast state. If there's a yeast problem present on the skin, a diluted acid spray can be applied to skin in order to lower the alkalinity of the skin and to maintain the proper acidic pH. Citric acid is safe, and you can make a spray using about 1/4 teaspoon of powered citric acid to 16 ounces of water and use to restore the proper skin pH. As a general rule, if human skin becomes too alkaline, then skin problems and skin diseases normally occur at that time.

NOTE: If the skin is raw or broken, the acid is going to be irritating and will burn, so it's best to allow these raw spots to heal before using the acid.
Sponsor
Offline raster  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:24:23 AM(UTC)
raster

Man

Was thanked: 728 time(s) in 602 post(s)
Bumping post!
Offline Javizy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:33:44 PM(UTC)
Javizy

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'm a bit confused by your post. Lemons and limes, like many other acidic foods, have been shown to be alkaline-forming when digested. Just because something is acidic doesn't mean it remains so after taking part in the various chemical reactions that take place throughout the GI tract. Perhaps citric acid would have the desired effect in the mouth, but by the time it reaches the bowels, it'd be alkaline. Similarly, alkaline substances like coffee can become extremely acidic, as counter-intuitive as it sounds.

I've also read that candida prefers an acidic environment to thrive. Since the ideal pH of the body is somewhere around 7.3 (slightly alkaline), it'd make sense that candida and other dysbiotic critters would prefer an unhealthy, acidic environment to develop. If they did prefer alkaline, then surely all healthy individuals would be at risk.

The typical Western diet of soda, refined grains and sugars, tons of animal products and processed foods promotes both candida and an overly acidic bodily pH, so one would imagine they're related. Intentionally creating an acidic pH would open you up for all sorts of other ailments, like mineral deficiencies (the body strips bones of magnesium and other alkalising substances to maintain a safe pH balance), which then leads to increased free radicals, susceptibility to osteoporosis, and many of the seemingly random symptoms candida sufferers endure, like pain and fatigue.

Do you have any sources for your information? Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your post.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:38:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#4 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:16:07 PM(UTC)
Able900

Man

Quote: I'm a bit confused by your post. Lemons and limes, like many other acidic foods, have been shown to be alkaline-forming when digested. Just because something is acidic doesn't mean it remains so after taking part in the various chemical reactions that take place throughout the GI tract. Perhaps citric acid would have the desired effect in the mouth, but by the time it reaches the bowels, it'd be alkaline. Similarly, alkaline substances like coffee can become extremely acidic, as counter-intuitive as it sounds.

Reply: I understand what you are saying, however, these facts do not keep the citric acid in the fruits from being absorbed and used by the body, nor does it keep the lemons from having a cleansing effect on the body when used several times a day mixed with water.

Quote: Since the ideal pH of the body is somewhere around 7.3 (slightly alkaline), it'd make sense that candida and other dysbiotic critters would prefer an unhealthy, acidic environment to develop. If they did prefer alkaline, then surely all healthy individuals would be at risk.

Reply: In understanding the normal pH balance of the human body you first have to realize that there’s a huge misconception about this balance, and it all stems from the way our pH is normally tested. The way that's usually done is to test the blood, urine, or saliva, and all three of these have a more alkalized than acidic nature. But this is misleading; just because the blood, urine and saliva are more alkalized doesn’t mean all the other sections of the body are the same.

The only way to get a true picture of the alkaline/acidic amounts in the human body is to look at one section at a time, because some parts of the body are naturally more acidic than others, and some more alkaline than others. So if you did a pH check on the individual parts of the body you would find the following.

You would find that the skin, digestive system, colon, and vagina are more acidic than alkaline, while other areas, as well as bodily fluids (saliva, urine, blood, and semen) are more alkaline. Knowing this, how can we claim that the ‘average’ pH balance should be a particular number when it really depends on which section of the body we’re talking about?

The reason a more acidic environment is natural for the skin is because the skin must be able to protect itself from environmental factors such bacteria and other toxins. The vagina also maintains an acidic environment for protection, and when the pH balance goes too high (too alkalized) yeast and bacterial infections can be the result.

The digestive system is normally highly acidic because of digestive acids which are a natural part of the process of digesting and utilizing the foods we eat as fuel, plus the acidic environment protects us from such things as fungal infections in the digestive system. When the digestive system becomes too alkaline because of eating too many alkalizing foods such as fruit, or eating too much sugar which is food for the natural yeast in our bodies, then yeast is allowed to multiply and Candida infestations are often the result.

Below are some facts about the human body which show how it’s impossible for fungi to survive in an acidic environment but will thrive in an alkaline environment.

Research studies have shown that pathogens are destroyed in an acidic environment and thrive in an alkaline environment (I'm referring to the intestines and colon which are normally more acidic). On a normal basis yeast may not be considered a pathogen, but once the yeast turns fungal, meaning Candida albicans, these certain are a pathogen.
"Candida: Any of the parasitic imperfect fungi that make up the genus Candida, which resemble yeasts and occur especially in the mouth, vagina, and intestinal tract. Though usually benign, Candida can become pathogenic, causing diseases including Candidiasis and thrush." Source, Online Encyclopedia

The sweat and oils on the skin create an acidic environment so that harmful airborne pathogens can be destroyed by the acid.

It’s recommended that anyone with a Candida infestation should take high doses of probiotics, and this usually turns out to be the major reason the infestation is cured. It’s a well documented scientific fact that beneficial flora in the intestines create lactic acid which balances intestinal pH, they also produce short chain fatty acids as a by-product of fermentation in the intestinal tract which serve as food for the mucosal lining of the intestines and are indispensable to musocal health and its functioning. In other words, the beneficial bacteria produce an acidic environment in our lower digestive system.
If producing an acidic environment isn’t a beneficial function for our digestion system, why are the bacteria that cause this environment called ‘beneficial’?

Why does the human body naturally produce HCl (Hydrochloric acid) in the stomach? The reason is the hydrochloric acid kills most of the contaminating microorganisms in the stomach which in turn allows for easier digestion.

Even though most people believe that Candida cannot be contracted through sexual intercourse, research shows that it can. The vagina normally has an acid pH making the normal environment for the vagina acidic, but semen has an alkaline pH; because of these facts, having unprotected sexual intercourse three times or more within a 24 hour period will produce an alkaline environment in the vagina, and providing other aspects are suitable, such as the normal American diet consisting of high carbohydrate foods and sugar, this makes it ideal for a Candida overgrowth or yeast infection.
According to the theory that an alkaline pH is needed to kill Candida, and the vagina is predominately acidic in a healthy female, and Candida thrives in an acidic environment, why do all women not have yeast infections -- all the time?

Able
Offline Javizy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:43:02 PM(UTC)
Javizy

Man

I see. Thanks for clarifying. Since we naturally have alkaline blood, an acidic stomach, alkaline small intestines and an acidic colon, I suppose I can't say the Western diet "promotes an overly acidic bodily pH," but rather it just upsets the balance, and certain foods, like lemon and lime, do a good job of restoring it. I've been meaning to buy some lemons to spice up my salads anyway :)

A lot written about nutrition is so reductive that it leads me to simplistic viewpoints like acid vs alkaline. Do you have any books or resources that you would recommend? I still don't have a clear idea of exactly how candida operates. I've read the Wiki and a candida book, but they didn't give me the kind of understanding I prefer to have.

Thanks for taking the time to reply anyway.
#6 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 4:30:58 AM(UTC)
Able900

Man

Quote: I still don't have a clear idea of exactly how candida operates. I've read the Wiki and a candida book, but they didn't give me the kind of understanding I prefer to have.

Reply: Reading all the research papers you can get your hands on is the best way to learn the true facts about Candida albicans. You don't have a specific question here, so I really don't know what type of understanding you're looking for; I'd be willing to try and answer specific questions for you if you'd like to try.

Quote: Do you have any books or resources that you would recommend?

Reply: I don't really read the books on Candida/yeast any longer, I've found that these are normally full of opinions, and I have enough of those to write a book myself. So what I stick with are medical and research journals and published research papers. I base the advice I offer on 15 years of reading these world-wide university studies and medical journals, as well as taking quite a few classes while in the Navy and when I returned to civilian life. My subject of concern is the connection between bacterium, enzymes, mold, yeast, microscopic organisms, pathogens, environmental toxins, fungi, and herbs, vitamins, minerals, and other natural elements - including the simplest of these such as water.

The best suggestion I can give you is to start subscribing to as many medical/research journals as you can find. But you’ll have to read them and not do what medical doctors do, which is building a two-foot tall stack of unread journals on their desks.

A few examples of helpful journals and research papers are;

Annual Review of Microbiology, Canadian Medical Association Journal, Department of Medical Sciences
Southern Illinois University publications
Bioresource Technology (Formerly known as Biological Wastes)
The Lancet
Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology
University Department of Agriculture, Oxford
Division of Food Science and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University
Current Opinion in Biotechnology

Journal of Pure & Applied Microbiology
Oxford Journals
Research papers written by Thomas G. Mitchell, PhD, Duke University
American Society for Microbiology

If you need more, just ask.
Able

Edited by user Friday, December 16, 2011 4:38:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Javizy  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 5:33:15 AM(UTC)
Javizy

Man

I agree about the nature of the information in candida books. I bought one called Recaging the Beast, which was hard to take seriously at times. You know, I haven't read everything on this site yet, so maybe that's a good starting point.

I've had digestive issues for close to a decade, and musculoskeletal pain for even longer. I'd learned to accept bloating, abdominal pain, acid reflex at night etc as part of everyday life, but now I realise it's foolish to assume my two problems are unrelated (although my doctor practically sneered at me when I made such a suggestion). I'm not sure if I have candida, but from what I've learned, it seems like the diet recommendations on the site would be a great way to solve a whole range of digestive issues.

I think I'll try your citric acid suggestion, since I've read that a lack of stomach acid is common among people with acid reflux, and I'm not too keen on trying hydrochloric acid supplements. I'll add lemons to my shopping list for tomorrow :)

Edited by user Friday, December 16, 2011 5:34:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline raster  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 5:42:11 AM(UTC)
raster

Man

Was thanked: 728 time(s) in 602 post(s)
Dr. Mcoomb's has stated that candida has been thoroughly researched through the last few decades. He estimates that there has been approximately one journal/health article written every single day for the last 60 years. That is approximately over 65,000 seperate articles on the research and findings of candida. He said that it has been a high concern for many doctors for a long time, but the information is being suppressed because its one of the single most important factors in the health of the body. Doctors don't want to cure people but instead, they want to drug them up.

-Raster
Offline kirstyk4  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 7:26:50 AM(UTC)
kirstyk4

raster wrote:
Doctors don't want to cure people but instead, they want to drug them up.

-Raster

So frustratingly the truth... :( I experienced that many times when I would go to the doctor and return with unanswered questions and more drugs to try. In cases of Candida, it appears safer and more worth your while to take matters into your own hands.
#10 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 8:10:38 AM(UTC)
Able900

Man

kirstyk4 wrote:
I experienced that many times when I would go to the doctor and return with unanswered questions and more drugs to try. In cases of Candida, it appears safer and more worth your while to take matters into your own hands.

This is exactly why we each have to learn to become our own doctor. The answers to our questions can be found in research, and this is going to be our only source of healing until future doctors begin to look at their careers as a chance to actually heal people instead a way to purchase a newer and better yacht or a winter home in Aspen.

The fact is, doctors can make a buck easier and get on to the next one quicker by scribbling out a drug prescription than by reading the stack of medical research journals stacked on their desk. Unfortunately, this is just too tempting for too many weak-minded medical practitioners.

Able
Offline Javizy  
#11 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 8:17:29 AM(UTC)
Javizy

Man

I don't think we can be too harsh on doctors though. They're just doing their jobs the way they've been trained to do, the way they're pressured to do by various organisations, and the way they're pretty much forced to do in their situation. If they give you unorthodox recommendations instead of prescribing drugs, and you end up worse off, it's all on them and their malpractice premiums.

Really, doctors are as much at the whim of pharmaceutical companies as we are. They're not invincible themselves. They suffer from backache, diabetes and increased incidences of cancer as well. The problem goes much higher up. The way giant pharmaceutical corporations have managed to use their massive financial influence to sculpt the current pill-pushing medical paradigm, and are able to control medical and research institutions, and even the government, so that things remain as they are is what keeps us in this sorry state of sickness. Still, no doctor and his backache is going to get any sympathy from me.
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 3:03:36 AM(UTC)
Able900

Man

Javizy wrote:
I don't think we can be too harsh on doctors though. They're just doing their jobs the way they've been trained to do, the way they're pressured to do by various organisations, and the way they're pretty much forced to do in their situation. If they give you unorthodox recommendations instead of prescribing drugs, and you end up worse off, it's all on them and their malpractice premiums.

I'm writing from America, where no one is forced to do anything, we aren't even forced to obey the law if we choose not to, that doesn't mean there aren’t consequences, but it's still a choice, obey the law or go to jail, our choice. So are these their choices or someone else’s?

Life is about personal choices, and every choice that each of us make is personal in that we're the only one responsible for the consequences that follow each choice.

Able