Candida Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 2/20/2041 5:52:52 PM(UTC) Able900  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 06, 2011 3:48:15 AM(UTC)
Able900

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 572 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Homemade Yogurt: Printable version

Ingredients:

1 quart milk (any kind but if you use "ultra-high pasteurized" or "UHP" or "UHT" then you can skip step one, as the milk has already been heated to this temperature before the pack was sealed) 1/4 to 1/2 cup non-fat dry milk (optional)

1 tablespoons white sugar to feed the bacteria

2 tablespoons existing yogurt with live cultures

Directions:

Heat the milk to 185ºF (85ºC). Using two pots that fit inside one another create a double boiler. This will prevent your milk from burning, and you should only have to stir it occasionally. If you cannot do this, and must heat the milk directly, be sure to monitor it constantly, stirring all the while. If you do not have a thermometer, 185ºF (85ºC) is the temperature at which milk starts to froth. It is highly recommended that you obtain a thermometer in the range of 100 - 212ºF - especially if you plan to make yogurt on an ongoing basis.

Cool the milk to 110ºF (43ºC). The best way to do this is with a cold water bath. This will quickly and evenly lower the temperature, and requires only occasional stirring. If cooling at room temperature, or in the refrigerator, you must stir it more frequently. Don't proceed until the milk is below 120ºF (49ºC), and don't allow it to go below 90ºF (32ºC); 110ºF (43ºC) is optimal.

Let the starter yogurt sit at room temperature while you're waiting for the milk to cool. This will prevent it from being too cold when you add it in.

Adding about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk at this time will increase the nutritional content of the yogurt. The yogurt will also thicken more easily. This is especially helpful if you're using nonfat milk.

Add 2 tablespoons of your existing Greek yogurt, or add the freeze-dried bacteria. Stir it in or better yet, use a blender to evenly distribute the billions of bacteria throughout the milk.

Pour the milk into a clean container or containers. Cover each one tightly with a lid or plastic wrap.

Allow the yogurt bacteria to incubate by keeping it warm and still to encourage bacterial growth, while keeping the temperature as close to 100ºF (38ºC) as possible. An oven with a pilot light left on is one option; see the "Tips" section for other ideas.

After seven hours, you'll have a custard-like texture, a cheesy odor, and possibly some greenish liquid on top. This is exactly what you want. The longer you let it sit beyond seven hours, the thicker and tangier it will become and the more beneficial bacteria you will have. Also, the longer it ferments like this the less sugar will remain in the end product.

Refrigerate the yogurt. Place the yogurt in your fridge for several hours before serving. It will keep for 1 to 2 weeks. If you're going to use some of it as starter, use it within 5 to 7 days, so that the bacteria still have growing power. Whey, a thin yellow liquid, will form on the top. You can pour it off or stir it in before eating your yogurt.

Many commercial yogurts include a thickening agent, such as starch, gum, or gelatin. Don't be surprised or concerned if your homemade yogurt has a somewhat thinner consistency without these thickeners, as the potency will be higher.
Note: You can add Truvia or Raw Organic Stevie (without additives such as Dextrose) and coconut manna (same as condensed coconut cream) for a creamy and tasty dish.

Use yogurt from this batch as the starter for the next batch.

Non-printable directions with photos: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Yogurt

Sponsor
Offline M  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 1:03:00 PM(UTC)
M

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I make kefir yoghurt using freeze-dried kefir grains and organic milk. Comes out really nice, and not sweet at all. You can find Yogourmet kefir on iherb.com for anyone interested.

Edited by user Friday, February 10, 2012 1:03:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline forevercody  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2012 8:25:00 AM(UTC)
forevercody

Able,
Thank you for this recipe. I just made it and it is sitting on my counter. I will let you know how it turns out. I just hope that it sits at 100 degrees as I dont have an oven with a pilot light. Do you suggest leaving for longer than 7 hours? Also I had to go to the original website because I wasn't sure in what step to add the sugar. I found that once the milk is in the cooling process is when the sugar needs to be added. Thanks again.

Cody
Offline forevercody  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:32:22 PM(UTC)
forevercody

The yogurt came out perfect! Really nice and thick. I used fat free milk and 1/4c powdered milk and fage yogurt. I placed the jar of yogurt in my crockpot full of water set to the warm setting with the lid off for 11 hours. This was the only way I could get to stay at a consistent 100 degrees.