Candida Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pina  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 11:05:44 PM(UTC)
Pina

Groups: Registered

I found out what was causing my constipation.

THE PROBIOTIC.

I'd been using Ultimate Flora Critical Care 50 Billion (which I do not recommend) for a month and ever since starting it I noticed my IBS symptoms increase to almost the worst stages its ever been.

This boggles my mind. I've been researching it and other cases have come up where people have said their probiotic seemed to be causing their constipation. Since this doesn't seem to make sense, one guess is that lack of refrigeration killed the potency of this probiotic in the mail (though the weather here has been chilly).

I had forgotten to order a new probiotic and on the day I ran out I was able to go to the bathroom easily. Suspicious, I went the whole week without taking any probiotics and have been able to go like clockwork twice a day.

I'm looking into getting a refund from the company and am currently sticking to sauerkraut for probiotic intake. I might consider coconut kefir as well. In the future if I take any probiotic supplements I'll get them directly from the store.

So I recommend if your constipation is bad, stop taking your probiotic for a few days and see if that is the cause.
Sponsor
User is suspended until 2/20/2041 5:52:52 PM(UTC) Able900  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:52:43 AM(UTC)
Able900

Man

Was thanked: 562 time(s) in 385 post(s)
Pina, thank you for your post; but I have to disagree with the way you presented your information, specifically by stating the problem clearly being, "... Ultimate Flora Critical Care 50 Billion which I do not recommend."

When your recommendation is specifically against a product that is needed for the Candida treatment, perhaps suggesting to other members that the product "may be the cause" of their problem, and being prepared to replace it with another idea is a wiser choice of action. In this case purchasing a probiotic directly from a store would be a better choice, or if probiotics are simply not available in stores in the area, choosing one to be shipped which doesn’t need refrigeration may be the only choice left. So as you can see, this does not mean that the specific brand was the cause, and of course this can happen to any refrigerated product including all refrigerated probiotics, and is exactly why the refrigerated type of probiotics should not be ordered by mail. Many people have cured their infestation with different probiotic brands, including Ultimate Flora, and I'm one of those people.

By the way, sauerkraut alone, even if eaten every day, would take forever to replace enough flora to cure Candida, if ever. Most people with a Candida albicans infestation have already been suffering for so long that all they want to see is results, and who can blame them; and a high count of probiotics is the quickest route to lessening the symptoms.

Your statement, "So I recommend if your constipation is bad, stop taking your probiotic for a few days and see if that is the cause" was more accurate and informative, but it would have served better if placed at the beginning of your post.

Thanks, Able
Online raster  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:45:53 AM(UTC)
raster

Man

Was thanked: 788 time(s) in 654 post(s)
I feel that despite it not being refigerated, that there is still billions of the culture for it to work. At the most it probably loses a few billion of the count, but it still has a high count overall.

The IBS is normal because that means the probiotic is working; the IBS is caused by the dead candida flooding your gut. Like you said, the best way to reduce this is to stop taking the probiotic for a few days and then start again. You may have started at a too high of a count also; consider going for a 20-30 billion count and then working up to the 50 or 80 billion count.

The probiotic is one of the keys to recovery from candida; it may be the most important thing to help you recover other than drinking plenty of water, getting plenty of rest, and the proper diet.

Another probiotic to consider taking is the HMF neuro; this contains human micro flora which binds better to the intestine walls when compared to bovine derived probiotics.

Edited by user Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:48:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Pina  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:50:16 AM(UTC)
Pina

Able, to change my post to put that product in a better light would be incredibly wrong to everyone here. I know you had good results with it and defend it, but I didn't and I would like everyone to know my experience so they are aware. Why should they waste time and money? Everyone's bodies are so different that what works for one person cannot always work for another. That product WAS the cause of my problem.

Obviously I had listed alternatives as in buying direct from the store and taking sauerkraut and coconut kefir, so your point is moot. Anyone reading my post could follow the same and buy a different probiotic, or choose to take their chances anyway with Ultimate Flora. But it did nothing for me, even more so than ThreeLac and I can't report any benefits from it. This is especially disparaging considering how expensive it is.

I would rather have sauerkraut every day and know at least I am getting live probiotics than a product where I don't know if its dead or alive. If you can provide some scientific research in showing the probiotics in sauerkraut are essentially ineffective towards candida I would like to see it.

raster, if heat from transport caused the probiotics to die, then I would think all the cultures would die and render the product ineffective. Probiotics are supposed to aid IBS, not cause it, and I cannot find any scientific backing that dead candida is causing constipation by probiotic.

I had already been taking ThreeLac from the start so I started the 50 billion. Thanks for your advice though, I won't quit on probiotics yet.
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:12:26 PM(UTC)
Able900

Man

Pina wrote:
I cannot find any scientific backing that dead candida is causing constipation by probiotic.

Pina, first there's simply no way that 50 billion flora-building beneficial bacteria wasn't killing Candida in your system, even if some of the bacteria were destroyed in the shipment, otherwise, why would it cause constipation as it would be rendered impotent? Are you saying that the dead bacteria caused your constipation?

In one post you wrote, "... this doesn't seem to make sense, one guess is that lack of refrigeration killed the potency of this probiotic in the mail." But in the other post you seemed to dismiss this possibility completely when you wrote, "That product WAS the cause of my problem." I’m just wondering what happened to the first theory.

Going with the theory that the probiotic, which was supposed to be refrigerated, was spoiled during shipment makes much more sense than claiming that the specific brand caused your problem. Have you odered another brand that you can compare it with? Making just as much sense as anything is the theory that the probiotic was killing Candida causing the die-off symptom of constipation.

The symptoms of Herxheimer reaction or die-off literally come from 'dead Candida" which release toxins causing the various symptoms.

Symptoms of die-off (or dying Candida):
http://www.modernherbalist.com/dieoff.html

http://www.begin-within-...da-die-off-symptoms.html

And written by a former Candida patient; "During the Candida die-off period people will usually become constipated."
http://www.candidadieoffsymptomsreview.com/

Die-off symptoms are an indication that C. albicans are dying in very large numbers, which in turn causes more toxins to be released than the body can handle. This often results in the body's eliminatory pathways becoming blocked by the toxins which cannot escape the body fast enough, this includes the liver.
Logically, the body responds to the accumulation of toxins with various symptoms, and when the eliminatory pathways are blocked or even partially blocked, constipation can definitely be the result.

Of course this isn't the case with everyone, as you stated, we're all different.

Edited by user Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:17:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Pina  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:18:53 PM(UTC)
Pina

Able900 wrote:
Pina, first there's simply no way that 50 billion flora-building beneficial bacteria wasn't killing Candida in your system, even if some of the bacteria were destroyed in the shipment, otherwise, why would it cause constipation as it would be rendered impotent? Are you saying that the dead bacteria caused your constipation?

I repeat: I cannot find any scientific backing that dead candida is causing constipation by probiotic. And I have no idea of the effects of taking dead probiotics, do you?

Able900 wrote:
In one post you wrote, "... this doesn't seem to make sense, one guess is that lack of refrigeration killed the potency of this probiotic in the mail." But in the other post you seemed to dismiss this possibility completely when you wrote, "That product WAS the cause of my problem." I’m just wondering what happened to the first theory.

Able, if you read the title of this thread you can see your comment does not make sense. I know what the cause of the problem, and I was trying to get to the root of it. I was also expressing my surprise and disbelief and dismay about the problem.

Able900 wrote:
Going with the theory that the probiotic, which was supposed to be refrigerated, was spoiled during shipment makes much more sense than claiming that the specific brand caused your problem.

It does not make more sense. First of all, it is a theory, not a true fact. Secondly, other people who purchase this product online would not want to buy it knowing the condition they will receive it in, even if the product is helpful.

All the sites you are linking are sites that are selling something. If you can list an actual scientific studies, this would be much more candid. Many of these sites will list multiple symptoms and products to reel people in, without any basis in fact.

I do realize you are trying to help, and I thank you. And if it seems I am getting irritable, do blame the candida ;) But I just cannot find any satisfactory proof that this is the reaction I should be getting. I'm going to take a break now and later try another high-quality probiotic and post my results.
#7 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 12:23:47 AM(UTC)
Able900

Man

Quote: “It does not make more sense. First of all, it is a theory, not a true fact. Secondly, other people who purchase this product online would not want to buy it knowing the condition they will receive it in, even if the product is helpful.”

And that’s my whole point, when purchasing a product which should be refrigerated by mail one is taking the chance that it ‘will not’ be in the condition in which should be when it is delivered. And that’s regardless of the brand.
Offline yes178  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 10:25:25 AM(UTC)
yes178

Ive ive had a real tough time with Candida, I have Tried different probiotics I have had great success with sustenex chews. This product in my opinion really helped me regain balance to my digestive tract.